Colic and Tummy Aches
Colic - there are 100s of theories of what causes it, and if you ask 10 different doctors about it, you are sure to get 10 different opinions. We do know, however, that Colic makes babies miserable. Here are some suggestions:
1. I learned this from a group of Lebanese moms at a local park who couldn't speak english, but didn't need to, to teach me how soothe my colicky baby: Place your baby tummy down your arm, so that your infants head is resting in your palm. Place your other hand over their back. Make sure their neck is secure. Swing that baby back and forth fast (I couldn't believe how fast these women were rocking my kid) while patting the babies back equally as fast.
This method will turn a screamin' demon child into a happy camper in no time. (or it just totally freaks the baby out, not sure which... but it does work.)
2. Lay your baby down on their back. Take their feet and make them do "reverse sit-ups", bringing their feet and knees up and toward's the babies chin in a slow easy motion. Repeat for awhile and see if this helps.
3. Car rides. If your baby cries at the same time every day distract them with a nice car ride. The motion of the car mellows babies out. I know a few moms who gave their infants a nightly drive, as it was the only way they could find to put them to sleep. Along the same lines: some kids are really soothed by the sound of a running vacuum cleaner.
- Gripe Water
- If you a breastfeeding, skip the broccoli and coffee
- Use music to calm the baby down
- Try wrapping your baby snug in a blanket.
Notes: If you think there is anything wrong with your baby, please seek medical attention. If you doctor simply says "it's colic" then feel free to try these methods. But don't use them in place of medical advice.